We’ve all heard the success stories of people who claim to have made a fortune through affiliate marketing programs. Earning thousands of dollars from the comfort of your home sure sounds tempting… but it appears too good to be true. Want to know the truth about affiliate marketing? Here is all the information you need to make informed selections.
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is a program in which you (the affiliate) is getting paid to host the ads of a company. Such ads are typically provided through a program, the biggest ones being Amazon Associates and Google Affiliate Network.
The type of payment will depend on the specifics of the program. In some instances, you will be paid for every click on the ad. In other situations, you get a percentage of the sale generated through a referral from your website. Though the sums are usually small, owners of high traffic websites and blogs can actually earn a nice passive income through affiliate marketing.
The biggest advantage of affiliate ads is that they are contextual – the products promoted through your website have something to do with the content topics, which increases the chance of your audience being interested in a purchase.
Why Join an Affiliate Marketing Program?
Although many people are skeptical and pessimistic about the model on which affiliate marketing operates, this practice is quickly becoming the fastest growing online marketing technique to make money. Wondering why? Here are the facts:
- No fees or strings attached: Affiliate programs are available for anyone who is willing to participate in them. You don’t need to pay or sign agreements to join them.
- Affordable: With affiliate marketing you don’t need a product of your own or a marketing team. The product/service is already created by the seller, so you won’t need to worry production costs either.
- Global reach: Online marketing allows you to easily reach people around the world.
- Passive income: Affiliate marketing allows you to apply your marketing skills and use your already established website audience to gain passive income. As long as you have a lot of traffic coming to your website, you can create a steady flow of income.
The list with benefits of participating in an affiliate marketing program can go on and on. The essential is that you can use this practice to earn something extra on the side, while you grow your online presence.
How to Become a Successful Affiliate Marketer
Affiliate marketing is a highly competitive area and in order to succeed in it, you need to be smart, know how to effectively promote a product and get acquainted with the market needs. Here are some tips that will make your journey to becoming a successful affiliate marketer less arduous.
- Traffic, traffic, traffic: If you want to make affiliate referrals, you need more people visiting your website. The more traffic you have, the more referral commissions you’ll make.
- Choose what products to promote: Don’t go over the top and start promoting tons of products or services at the same time. You need only few good products that are relevant to your audience. If you have a blog about computers, don’t start marketing clothing or pet toys. Market products that your visitors will be interested in purchasing.
- Associate with businesses that provide quality services and keep their customers happy: would you be willing to buy the service an affiliate program is offering? If not, look elsewhere for affiliate marketing opportunities.
- Keep your affiliate banners and links minimal and clean: Try to blend them with the rest of your content so that they don’t disrupt the flow of your website’s layout. You don’t want them to pop out, confuse readers or drive traffic away. Remember that with affiliate marketing, text converts better than images.
- Keep track of your affiliate marketing campaign: Use Google Analytics and other analytics tools to measure whether your current affiliate marketing campaign is performing well. If possible, experiment with it and see if another approach would work better for it.
These are just few of the many things you need to consider and plan when participating in an affiliate marketing program. Remember that, as with all other business opportunities, you need to be determined and focused if you want to profit. Plan accordingly and set everything up perfectly from the start to make it work. It may take some time and a considerable amount of efforts to start earning a steady amount of money, but as long as you are ready to work hard, you can succeed.
Photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net, author: Kromkrathog