We need to get one thing out of the way – marketing is crucial for establishing your freelance career and turning it in a full-time occupation. Even if you’re the most amazing specialist, you’ll never find clients without putting some hard work in doing promotion.
Getting started with freelance jobs from home is all about building your authority and reputation. The good news is that you have dozens of online channels to rely on. Doing marketing can be inexpensive and highly effective, as long as you’re willing to put some work in the process.
So, what does it take to advertise your freelance, home-based business? The following guide contains several ideas that have worked for me. I’ve tested multiple marketing options and I’ve found these to be most effective.
Even if you aren’t a copywriter, you need to create a professional blog. Finding freelance jobs from home is all about establishing a sound online presence and one of the easiest options for accomplishing the goal involves content marketing.
Starting a blog is relatively easy, especially if you write articles that you’re very passionate about.
Focus on your professional field. If you’re a copywriter, you can put together a blog about the importance of quality content and the best strategies for writing good texts. If you’re an architect, you should consider presenting some new trends and using the blog as a portfolio at the same time.
Getting started with blogging may be challenging in the beginning but you’ll discover its addictive nature very soon. Here are a few tips that will help you make the most of the opportunity:
- Do your best to update your blog at least once per week. When you create a writing schedule, you’ll find it much easier to get in the habit.
- Do competition research to see what others are writing about. Other blogs about the same topic can be a wonderful source of inspiration.
- Though updating a blog frequently is important, remember that quality matters much more than quantity does.
Interact with your audience. You can find new clients this way and you’ll also get inspired to write follow-up blog posts.
- Look for topics that others haven’t written about.
- Even if you go for a popular topic, make sure that your take is unique and engaging.
When trying to look for freelance jobs from home, you’re certainly relying on the power of social media. They can help you get great results. LinkedIn is amazing for discovering freelance projects but social networks can also help you market yourself and your skills. If you don’t know how to use social media marketing, you may want to consider the following options:
- Write LinkedIn posts about professional topics of preference.
- Update your LinkedIn profile and join relevant communities.
- Create a Facebook page dedicated to your freelance career. Share interesting content and build a community.
- Share your blog posts through Twitter.
- If you have a blog or a corporate website, make sure that you’re sharing content through Google+. This is great both for marketing and for SEO purposes.
- Join Google+ communities to establish your professional reputation.
- Consider putting together YouTube videos on professional topics.
- The same applies to SlideShare presentations.
- Sharing your blog images on Pinterest can also be great for maximizing your reach and building your reputation.
Search Engine Optimization
If you don’t know how to do it, pay someone to handle the task for you. SEO is the key to reaching a target audience that will have a particular interest in your set of skills.
You can optimize your blog posts and you should certainly consider optimizing your freelance portfolio/corporate website.
A great website is the ideal platform from which to reach customers. Once you build a website, you’ll be free from having to look for clients through other platforms (like freelance websites, for example). True, establishing your online presence will require a lot of hard work but it can eliminate the commissions and fees you’re paying right now.
Several Other Options for Advertising Your Freelance Business
These are the most important techniques that anyone interested in finding freelance jobs from home should be familiar with. Several other possibilities, however, could deliver excellent results.
Need more ways to establish your reputation and build your online presence? I’ve included a couple of additional suggestions that you may find useful:
- Ask happy customers to write testimonials and reviews. Word of mouth promotion is tremendously powerful.
- Add your blog or your portfolio URL to your email signature.
- Consider carrying out a paid Google Adsense or Facebook campaign every now and then.
- Start offering free consultations or discounts to new clients.
- Become a guest blogger and write articles for popular websites.
- Attend seminars and professional events for networking purposes.
- Write an ebook and offer it as a free perk through your blog or your corporate website.
- Start sending a monthly newsletter to subscribers. Make sure that it contains interesting and relevant information. Don’t spam!
Do you want to learn more about earning money online, being a freelancer or starting your own web-based business? My ebook How to Make Money Online: The Secrets of Starting Your Own Web-Based Business will give you many important answers.